Sunday 2 November 2014

Combat, Explosions, Destruction and isk!

(RP Warning: Some 'out of character' references below)

Back again with another post which will probably be last for a couple of days while I look for a capsulee-run PvP corporation.

So after my expedition into wormhole space I decided I needed more skills and a better ship before trying that again.  Which was a little disappointing but you know what they say...  'soldier one'.

To achieve this I thought I would try the Military Career, Advanced Military Career and Industrial Career agents.  Although a fantastic starting point for new pilots as I found out there are confusing and missing learnings wihtin the training itself.  I have highlighted some of the key points I found below.  Note Aura does give some limited links to the EVE Wiki although information there is a little outdated so be careful.  :)

Transversal Velocity

This is something I discovered when 'kiting' the sleepers in my earlier wormhole excursion although it is not taught by a trainer until the END of the advanced military career chain.  I believe the governing bodies at the Amarr training corporations need to make this one of the very first lessons as it makes a massive difference in not only speed but efficiency in missions.  I have linked a video record of an encounter with the final boss in the advanced chain to explain my point but will explain what transversal velocity is a little more first.

Transversal velocity is the orbiting speed of 2 opposing ships.  For example 2 ships moving in opposite directions while orbiting each other at the same speed and distance would be at 'maximum transversal'.  The laser turrets on my Punisher can only track a target at a certain speed so at maximum transversal they cannot track the target and I do little to no damage at all to my target.  To correct this and increase damage I  need to turn my ship to make sure I'm reducing my opponents transversal to maximise the damage I do to them.  The boss in the recorded missions was also using turrets so I needed to keep my speed up to avoid as much damage as possible but get into a position where I was doing more damage to him.  This is a hard topic to explain in text so I would like to reference another UNIwiki link and video to explain.

The strategy I used was to dive into enemy putting my web and then turning my ship to move directly away either in front or behind him.  This gave me maximum damage on him.  When armor started to bleed and increased my transversal velocity by orbiting the target and repairing my armor.  This seemed to work well.  The 2 trainees that accompanied the boss where using missiles so as long as I kept up my speed they did very little damage to me (this is do with explosion radius and velocity but I think I have confused my readers enough for one night).  ;)

Ship Fitting

In the missions you are given both shield and armor modules to tank your ships and your told very little directly about your ships capabilities such as tanking and damage bonuses etc...  As I am Amarrian my ships are generally better for armor tanking which is why I was so confused when I first supplied shield resistance and boosting modules.  My first armor module was only given to me near the end of the basic military career.  So I decided to do a bit of research on the matter.

ISIS - The CCP supplied tool (in game) is a great start for new players.  It can be found on you left of your capsulee interface.  It showed me some skills which upon learning such as capacitor management, motion prediction and rapid firing increased not only my dps but my ability to apply dps for longer (capacitor pool and recharge).  I also learnt about the resistance and targeting skills as well as numerous others that I had no idea about...  This new world I've chosen is so complex but quite interesting. I may just stay a while.  This being said the tool does seem to missing some skills for each mastery level, for example, Ventures (ORE Mining Frigate) and Magnates (Amarr Scanning Frigates) have drone bays but do not require ANY drone skills for even Mastery Level 5.

EVEwiki - Another great page from EVE Uni that gives some hits and tips on fitting.

PYFA - An out of game tool that uses your API and allows you customise fits.  I recommend to look at your ships bonuses and fit based on that.

Hope this helps,

Materia Out!



No comments:

Post a Comment